The right equipment can make everyday tasks safer and easier. If you need equipment to support your disability, Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People may be able to loan it to you or provide advice on where to buy it.
What we can loan
The type of equipment you can get will depend on your disability-related needs and situation. Sometimes equipment may not be the best or only option for you.
Equipment providers for Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People are Accessable and Enable New Zealand.
They can loan equipment recommended for you by an EMS Assessor, such as:
- shower stools
- raised toilet seats
- adjustable beds
- walking frames
- communication devices (for example communication boards, equipment that speaks for you, computer software for work or tertiary study)
- visual or vibrating alert systems (eg, smoke alarms)
What we can’t loan
Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People can't loan:
- equipment that you only need for a short time (less than 6 months). If you need equipment for less than 6 months, you might be able to borrow it from your local hospital or hire it.
- equipment for medical needs, incontinence or therapy
- generally, equipment that you have already bought yourself
- equipment that has not been recommended for you by an EMS assessor
- equipment that costs less than $50 (except for children under 16 years of age, people living in particular circumstances of hardship or people living in residential care).
How to get equipment on loan
Contact a Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People Equipment and Modification Service (EMS) assessor to help you work out what equipment can assist you and if our equipment providers, Accessable and Enable New Zealand, might be able to supply you with the equipment you need.
EMS assessors are usually occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech-language therapists or other hearing and vision professionals.
Your doctor can refer you to an EMS qualified assessor or you can refer yourself through local hospital community health services.
Our equipment providers
EMS assessors work with our equipment providers Accessable and Enable New Zealand to make sure that any equipment you get is suitable and useful for you and is the most cost-effective item to meet your needs.
Your equipment provider, Accessable or Enable New Zealand, will send your equipment as soon as possible after it has been requested.
Accessable and Enable New Zealand keep a stock of well-maintained equipment. They buy new equipment when it is needed.
They can also repair equipment when it is damaged and can collect it when you no longer need it.
Find out more about disability support equipment if you live:
- in Auckland or Northland:
Freephone 0508 001 002
- anywhere else in New Zealand:
contact Enable New Zealand
Freephone 0800 17 1981
Buying equipment yourself
You may also choose to buy equipment yourself rather than use equipment on loan.
If you do, make sure you:
- get expert advice
- try out different equipment before you buy
- are sure the equipment is right for your needs.