Choice in Community Living offers disabled people more control over where you live, who you live with and how you are supported. It is an alternative to residential services and is for people with significant disabilities.
What it means for you
With Choice in Community Living:
- you can decide where to live and who you live with
- you and your family/whānau choose the support you want
- you and your family/whānau or advocate work out a budget and how to use your disability funding
- you will have your own key
- In terms of where and how you live, you can:
- own your own home
- pay rent to a landlord
- choose to have flatmates or live on your own.
Who is eligible
Choice in Community Living is currently available in Auckland, Waikato, the Hutt, Otago and Southland regions only.
To access Choice in Community Living you must be:
- living in one of the regions listed above, and
- already be eligible for disability support services funded by Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People.
One of the following situations must also apply:
- You live in a residential service and want to leave and live independently in a home you can purchase or rent.
- You live in your parent's or family home with disability support needs similar to people in residential services and want to live independently in a home you can purchase or rent.
- You live in an unsustainable living arrangement with disability support needs that would require a referral to a residential service, which is not what you or your family wants.
Changing to Choice in Community Living
If you would like to explore the option of Choice in Community Living, contact your local Needs Assessment Service who have experienced staff who can work with you and your family/whānau. They will discuss with you whether Choice in Community Living would be a good alternative to residential services.
They can also provide advice on what funding is available to financially support you.
Find Needs Assessment Services near you.
For more information, download Your Guide to Choice in Community Living:
- Your guide to Choice in Community Living (PDF 142KB)
- Your guide to Choice in Community Living (DOCX 83KB)
- Your guide to Choice in Community Living Large Print (DOCX 19KB)
- Your guide to Choice in Community Living Easy Read (DOCX 4.5MB)